Friday, August 26, 2011

Soundscape: Victorian Chamber

A big problem with Halloween sound effects is that almost every single track is over-produced with low quality unrealistic sounds. I can't count the number of times I have looked for the ambiance of a haunted house only to be presented with a cacophony of hokey sounds assembled without the slightest concern for order. Werewolves howl into your left ear every five seconds, Tacky thunder barks and snorts across the sky like the lightning it is somehow suffering from sleep apnea. People are clearly screaming, but you are not sure if it is because of the werewolves, the chainsaws, or the terribly synthesized moans. Perhaps it is all of the above, after all, they are all playing at the same time.

I am, by no means, a professional sound designer. But I always wished I could find a great spooky audio clip that I could play over and over as many times as I wanted (maybe while reading a ghost story or two) without losing focus as a result of the audio.

Subtlety is what I am looking for and if I can't find it, I am going to create it...  and if I'm going to create it, I am going to share it because chances are, there are other people out there who are looking for it too. My latest creation is called "The Victorian Chamber". It is made for those of us who have ever imagined sitting in a huge, dark, echoing, Victorian era living area on a cold and blustery evening. A warm fire and a huge leather chair would be your only comforts. Nearby, an ancient grandfather clock ticks the witching hours away all too slowly. Wind howls against the walls of the house as its aging wooden frame strains and creaks like the bowels of an old ship. In the darkness, your ears may detect the occasional aberration, however, it may be only be wind. Have a listen and enjoy a spooky nineteenth century evening complements of the Haunted Gallery.






8 comments:

Plague said...

love it

ghost_story_lover said...

I love this! Do you offer an mp3 download anywhere?

J.P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
James Colton said...

Wanted to let you know that this inspired me to pen a short ghost story: Aberrations

J.P. said...

James, that was fantastic. You and I are definitely on the same page when it comes to envisioning that dreadful room with the shadows.

Shoot me your email, and I can send you the mp3.

James Colton said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
bean said...

You are the best soundscape artist... EVER.

I absolutely love all your work. I have always craved subtly for sound effects/atmosphere. Thanks so much for what you do. I'll keep listening...

J.P. said...

Thank you so much. That really means a lot. I am just putting the finishing touches on a my first soundscape of 2012. It's actually going to be the first in a short series. I hope to have it posted for you all this evening.